Tuesday, October 9, 2012

An Interview with Jenny Moss

Q: Of which book are you the most proud? And why? 

A: Oh, wow. This is a tough question. Something about each book draws me to say it's the one I'm most proud of: TAKING OFF because it honors Christa McAuliffe and the Challenger crew, SHADOW because it was the first of my novels accepted for publication; and finally WINNIE'S WAR, which has a very special place in my heart because of the main character and her relationship with her mother. I can't pick just one!


Q: Patty Campbell talks about the germ for a piece of writing being like the sand in the oyster.  What is your grain of sand?  Do you begin with character or setting or something else?

A: For me, it's usually character. I have someone in my head who talks and talks and talks, and I have to get down her words. But occasionally, something equally compelling will hit me. I'm working on a book right now that is set in the same high fantasy world as SHADOW, but with a completely different set of characters and story. In this one, the plot got me first.


Q: What do you hear from your readers?

 A: I adore hearing from readers.  By far, the most asked question: When will there be a sequel to SHADOW?


Q: Who is your favorite character you have written or read about?

A: Gen in THE QUEEN'S THIEF series by Megan Whalen Turner


Q: In high school, where did you fall? (Prom Queen/King, Gamer Geek, Brainy/Book Nerd, Jock, Shy/Quiet Scholar, Skate Rat, Stoner, Class Clown, etc.)

A: The great thing is that on the outside we appear to fit into one of the categories - but on the inside: totally more complex and different person. On the outside: I was a Brainy/Book Nerd.


Thank you for your time, Jenny! We look forward to seeing you at the festival.

Find out more about Jenny at her website


No comments:

Post a Comment