Saturday, October 6, 2012

An Interview with Wendy Delsol

Q: Patty Campbell talks about the germ for a piece of writing being like the sand in the oyster. What is your grain of sand? Do you begin with character or setting or something else?

A: This is a great question in relation to my STORK trilogy. There was definitely an idea that germinated with me for a long time. It began with an Unsolved Mysteries TV show from years back (could be as many as ten). In the episode, a boy claimed to have pre-birth memories of flying around and getting to choose his mother. The story fascinated me, enough to lodge itself in my cranium. In the fall of 2008, when I was brainstorming something fresh in the paranormal genre, I remembered the episode. I then invented a kind of benevolent or white witch charged with pairing hovering souls with the right mother on earth. From there, I sprinkled in some Norse mythology and Icelandic folklore to plot out the trilogy.



Q: Why do you write for Young Adults?


A: I write for young adults because the teen years are the most formative and interesting in an individual’s development. Physical and emotional changes are happening at warp speed. So many life events are fresh and unique. It’s a very dynamic period. Throw in a burgeoning magical ability and you have the stuff of fiction: conflict, conflict, conflict.


It also helps that I have teens (albeit reluctant-to-emote boys). Their teen experiences are reminders of my own. And I can eavesdrop on their conversations for current vernacular (if and when they talk, that is).

Q: In high school where did you fall? (Prom Queen/King, Gamer Geek, Brainy/Book Nerd, Jock, Shy/Quiet Scholar, Skate Rat, Stoner, Class Clown, etc.)


A: I think I was mostly thought of as a brainy/bookish type. I worked hard at my studies and had a strong GPA. I’m pretty sure most would have classified me as shy/quiet with the until-you-get-to-know-her caveat. I was a cheerleader, but in an age and at a school where it didn’t count for much. I also played basketball, tried diving for a season, was involved in student government, and was a chorus member in four musicals. For those who have read my STORK trilogy, perhaps Penny comes to mind? No coincidence there.


Q: What is the hardest part of waiting for a book from the end of your writing to when it is released?


A: I find the cover-art reveal the most nerve-racking. Because this is an area outside the author’s control, a first peek at a cover image is highly anticipated. To date, I’ve been pleasantly surprised, but my stomach always flips when the email subject line indicates “cover art.”


Q: What is the one thing you would like your readers to know about you?


That I love reader feedback. I’m tickled and humbled to know my books are out there. It’s been the fulfillment of a life’s dream. Emails from readers are such a treat. It’s probably no surprise that authors tend to be emotional types. I am truly touched and buoyed when a reader takes time out of their busy life to contact me (wendydelsol@live.com).


Thank you for your time, Wendy. We look forward to seeing you at the festival!

Read more about Wendy Delsol at her website

No comments:

Post a Comment