Saturday, October 13, 2012

An Interview with Victoria Scott


Q: Patty Campbell talks about the germ for a piece of writing being like the sand in the oyster.  What is your grain of sand? Do you begin with character or setting or something else? 

A: I always begin with a scene. It could be a boy with blood smeared across his collarbone, or a girl dancing with a faceless demon. Then I start asking questions about the scene. Why is it happening? Who is the person in my vision? These "scene flashes" come out no where, but I'm always thankful for them!

Q: Who is your favorite character you have written or read about? 

A: My favorite character I've created was an eighteen-year-old boy named Caden in a book called VANITY. VANITY was my first manuscript, and is now tucked away in my desk drawer. Caden's tragic flaw was his tendency to become overly obsessed with things, and one day, that thing became a girl named Holly. I have a serious obsession with the topic of...obsession. One day, I may dig out that old manuscript and try to rewrite it into something publishable.

Q: In high school, where did you fall? (Prom Queen/King, Gamer Geek, Brainy/Book Nerd, Jock, Shy/Quiet Scholar, Skate Rat, Stoner, Class Clown, etc.) 

A: I'd label myself a Class Clown-Cheerleader.

Q: Do you have a pet (pets)?  Tell us about it (them) and how they help/hinder your writing. 

A: I have two enormous cats. I'm completely convinced they're waiting for me to croak so they can eat my face off. That happens. I read it somewhere. And they don't help me write. They just eat things and meow when their bowl is empty. Idiots. I will never understand why I love them so much.

Thank you for your time, Victoria. We look forward to seeing you at the festival!

To read more Victoria Scott, visit her website.

No comments:

Post a Comment