Monday, December 2, 2013

Introducing Mary Gray to the MCBF 2014 Author Line-Up

INTRODUCING      MARY GRAY...


Mary Gray has a fascination with all things creepy. That’s why all her favorite stories usually involve panic attacks and hyperventilating. In real life, she prefers to type away on her computer, ogle over her favorite TV shows, and savor fiction. When she’s not immersed in other worlds, she and her husband get their exercise by chasing after their three children.

The Dollhouse Asylum is her first novel. View the book trailer here:



Mary took a few minutes to answer some questions for us, just so we could get to know her better. 
Thanks Mary!




Patty Campbell talks about the germ for a piece of writing being like the sand in the oyster.  What is your grain of sand?  Do you begin with character or setting or something else?

I'm a concept writer. For THE DOLLHOUSE ASYLUM, I wanted to explore the concept of a girl being trapped by a man she both loves and hates. I hadn't read a story with this exact scenario, and I wanted to see how it would play out. My current work in progress is a historical novel, and I want to see how three main characters believe a certain weapon will help their civilization, but how it will all go quite wrong. I'll give you a hint: it takes place during the French Revolution.

In high school, where did you fall? (Prom Queen/King, Gamer Geek, Brainy/Book Nerd, Jock, Shy/Quiet Scholar, Skate Rat, Stoner, Class Clown, etc.) 

I was the quiet new girl. I moved every year growing up (sometimes more!) and my dad didn't allow me to be in extracurricular activities, so I had a hard time making friends... and keeping them since we always had to pick up and leave.

What books or authors have most influenced your writing most?

Carrie Ryan's THE FOREST OF HANDS AND TEETH inspired me to write THE DOLLHOUSE ASYLUM in the fact that I wanted to write a subtle horror with beautiful writing and post-apocalyptic elements. Neal Shusterman's UNWIND series has inspired me to write my current project in multiple third person present tense POV, and Robin LaFevers has inspired me to try historical. I am loving the research.

It’s the dawn of the zombie apocalypse, what 3 things are a must to take with you when you flee your home for refuge from the undead hordes??

I would grab my three children (my husband can take care of himself). My oldest is nine, and he'll probably grab his favorite books, my daughter is five, and she'll want her pillow and blankey, and my youngest is two. He'll want the Kindle because all his favorite shows are on there. 

To find out more about Mary, visit her website at www.marygraybooks.com.  Mary is on Facebook and tweets (@marygraytweets).

Come meet Mary Gray at the 2014 Montgomery County Book Festival on Saturday, February 15, 2014 at Lone Star College - Montgomery.

No comments:

Post a Comment