Friday, December 6, 2013

Welcome Mira Dessy to the 2014 MCBF Author Line-Up



Introducing Mira Dessy...

Mira Dessy is a Certified Nutrition Educator, a Real Food Advocate, and the author of The Pantry Principle: how to read the label and understand what's really in your food.  Dessy is a professional member of the National Association of Nutrition Professionals, the Society for Nutrition Education and Behavior, and the American Holistic Health Association.  She is also the Executive Vice President of the Houston chapter of the Holistic Chamber of Commerce.  Dessy speaks frequently to laypeople and nutrition professionals on how to navigate the grocery store’s mammoth packaged food stock, to decipher confusing food labels, and to choose healthy foods. Her motto is “Eat well to be well.”

Visit Mira online at:

Mira Dessy, NE
Nutrition Educator and Real Food Advocate
http://www.grainsandmore.com


The Pantry Principle: how to read the label and understand what's really in your food
http://ThePantryPrinciple.net

 
Find out a little more about Mira in her interview below:

At what age did you start writing?
I wrote a lot of poetry and fiction as a kid.  I didn't start writing non-fiction until I was an adult and in my early 40's

Patty Campbell talks about the germ for a piece of writing being like the sand in the oyster.  What is your grain of sand?  Do you begin with character or setting or something else?
Because I write non-fiction I need a concept.  My niche is nutrition and health so I mostly write about the effect food or food additives have on our health.  I also share a lot of recipes because I'm a fan of real food and I love to eat.  To my way of thinking, if I share with you what is in the processed food that you are eating that is not healthy for you (and explaining why it's not a great choice) I should help you understand how to eat well.  That includes sharing recipes.

Do you outline before you write or just dive in?
For articles it's 50/50 depending on what the article is about and who it is for.  If it's a book I always write an outline.  Otherwise I would never be able to stay focused.

Why do you write for Young Adults or Children or Adult (whichever is pertinent)?
I write for whoever wants to know about what's really in their food.  However, given the topic, most of my audience tends to be foodie-focused teens and then all manner of adults.

What is one thing you would like your readers to know about you?
That I am passionate about helping people understand what's really in their food.  I'm a geek about this and am always learning more so I can share it with others.

In high school, where did you fall? (Prom Queen/King, Gamer Geek, Brainy/Book Nerd, Jock, Shy/Quiet Scholar, Skate Rat, Stoner, Class Clown, etc.)
Definitely in the Nerd category.  Luckily I had a bunch of friends who were also nerdy.  And more than 30 years later many of us are still friends.

Do you have a pet (pets)?  Tell us about it (them) and how they help/hinder your writing.

We currently have two dogs, a cat and a rabbit.  They're great for fur-therapy (petting or cuddling) when I need a break.  I jokingly refer to our cat, Chloe, as my editor.  She likes to perch near where I'm working and watch me.  If she's not there she's lying in my in-box or on top of the filing cabinet.

What books or authors have most influenced your writing most?

Francis Moore Lappe's book Hope's Edge, Barbara Kingsolver's book Animal Vegetable Miracle, and just about anything by Michael Ruhlman, Mark Bittman, Michael Murray, and Michael Pollan.  But really it's more than that.  Anything about food, food history, nutrition, health, holistic health, etc all inspires me and makes me want to dig deeper; to learn all I can and to research what I write about so people can understand that this is based in science and that what we eat, and what's in what we eat, has an impact (sometimes a huge impact) on our health.

Which famous person, living or dead would you like to meet and why?
I'm always glad for the opportunity to meet new people that it doesn't matter if they're "famous" or not.  We all can learn from each other.  I'm looking forward to meeting all those I have yet to meet.

It’s the dawn of the zombie apocalypse, what 3 things are a must to take with you when you flee your home for refuge from the undead hordes??
Is it cheating to count a bug-out bag as one item?  :-)  
If I'm unprepared and have to grab and go - Cordage, a magnesium flint stick, and good quality protein bars.

Thank you for taking the time to answer our questions.

Meet Mira Dessy at the 2014 Montgomery County Book Festival to be held on February 15th. 

No comments:

Post a Comment