Tuesday, November 27, 2012

An Interview with David Macinnis GIll

Q: Of which book are you the most proud? And why?

A: I'm most proud of INVISIBLE SUN, which came out March 2012. It's very difficult to write a novel, but it's exponentially more difficult to write a sequel that both stands on its own as a story and adds to the mythology of the world created in the first book.

Q: Patty Campbell talks about the germ for a piece of writing being like the sand in the oyster.  What is your grain of sand?  Do you begin with character or setting or something else?

A: For me, the grain of sand is usually a premise that is so intriguing that a world and characters form around it. For Soul Enchilada, it was what would happen if a demon were interested in repossession? For Black Hole Sun, it was what kind of frontier would a terraformed Mars have?

Q: What do you hear from your readers?

A: Most readers write about how much they like the characters or how they are like the characters. They also want to know the plots for the next books!

Q: Why do you write for Young Adults?

A: I write for young adults because I'm fascinated by those moments that cause/allow/propel a child to become an adult.

Q: Who is your favorite character you have written or read about?

A: My favorite is and always will be Bug from Soul Enchilada. She's smart and feisty, humble and heroic, beautiful and completely unaware of it. I admire her.

Q: What is one thing you would like your readers to know about you?

A: I'm really 17 inside.

Q: In high school, where did you fall? (Prom Queen/King, Gamer Geek, Brainy/Book Nerd, Jock, Shy/Quiet Scholar, Skate Rat, Stoner, Class Clown, etc.)

A: Brainy book nerd geek with flair for politics who didn't find his voice until senior year and then wouldn't shut up.

Q: Do you have a pet (pets)?  Tell us about it (them) and how they help/hinder your writing.

A: I have two adopted dogs. They help my writing because they go on walks with me.

Q: What is the hardest part of waiting for a book from the end of your writing to when it is released?

A: Waiting for readers to find the book and then react to it. That seems to take a lifetime.

Q: How often do you dream about the writing you are working on?

A: When I'm drafting a first draft or revising, I often dream in the main character's voice. When that happens, I know that I understand my character.

Thank you so much for your time, David. We look forward to seeing you at the festival!
Learn more about David Macinnis Gill at his website.

No comments:

Post a Comment