Sunday, November 4, 2012

An Interview with Kendare Blake

Q: Of which book are you the most proud? And why?

A: Honestly, it's whatever book I'm working on at the moment. That's how it has to be. If I'm not convinced that what I'm working on is the shizz, then I'd just stop working on it. After the books are out, in readers hands, they don't feel like something I did. They've left the nest. They don't even let me pack their lunches, anymore.

Q: What do you hear from your readers?

A: I hear that they really like Anna. A black-veined, blood-bathed, murdering rage-monster. Who knew? I mean, I love her, but I thought it would be hard for readers to get past her penchant for killing...everyone. I also hear that I write dudes well. Which I appreciate hearing.

Q:  In high school, where did you fall? (Prom Queen/King, Gamer Geek, Brainy/Book Nerd, Jock, Shy/Quiet Scholar, Skate Rat, Stoner, Class Clown, etc.)

A: In high school, I was a little of everything. I played ice hockey, was near the top of my class, had a teacher file a complaint because I wrote an essay that may or may not have been a federal offense...and hung with mostly stoners. The one thing I never really dabbled in was Theater. Or glee club, or anything like that. That stuff takes balls.

Q:  Do you have a pet (pets)?  Tell us about it (them) and how they help/hinder your writing.

A: I have two catsons. Tybalt (featured in the books) and Mojo Jojo (I can't have a cat named Mojo Jojo in the books. I just can't.) Tybalt will occasionally try to sleep on my lap while I'm writing. Or if he thinks I'm working for too long, he'll sit on my desk and stare at me while he shoves papers onto the floor. Mojo is very chill. Doesn't bother anyone, unless it's time for his tea, which isn't really tea, just a cup of hot water. Do not, forget, his tea.

I also have a horse daughter named Lassie, but she doesn't live at home anymore.

Q:  How often do you dream about the writing you are working on?

A: I almost said never, but last month I had a dream that I was the lead character in my new Greek mythology series. And I kept trying to fly, but couldn't. I woke up and thought, "I have to finish this stupid book."

Before Anna was published, my agent, editor, and husband had nightmares where Anna came after them. I wished she would come after me, but she never did. I think she knows better than to bite the hand that feeds, you know?

Thanks so much for your time, Kendare! We look forward to seeing you at the festival.

To learn more about Kendare Blake and Anna, visit her website.

No comments:

Post a Comment